Why not start married life with a ceremony that really means something? A ceremony that tells your friends and family what your relationship means to you, and why you are choosing to get married?
Many of us who aren’t religious are looking for a wedding that is more flexible and personal than a civil or registry office ceremony.
A humanist, non-religious wedding ceremony gives you the opportunity to marry where you want, when you want and how you want. There’s no set script: it’s too personal an occasion for that. Instead, each wedding is tailored to meet the particular couple’s requirements. You can set the tone that’s right for you and choose your own words and music.
Humanist weddings are perfect for couples who would like:
- A meaningful ceremony that isn’t religious
- To marry outdoors or at a location that isn’t licensed for civil weddings
- The flexibility to create a personal ceremony that is unique to them
- To get to know the person who will be conducting their wedding
- To celebrate their marriage with family and friends but without legally registering it – perhaps they have already undertaken the formalities overseas, for example.
Unlike in Scotland, in England, Wales and Northern Ireland humanist weddings are not yet recognised in law and so couples often go to the registry office to take care of the legal formalities in the days before or after their humanist wedding.